Crafting Cute DIY Paper Fortune Cookies
Table of Contents
These adorable DIY paper fortune cookies are incredibly simple to create! They’re a delightful craft project for Chinese New Year or any other occasion, such as Valentine’s Day, birthday parties, or even wedding favors. Let me show you how to make these charming paper fortune cookies step by step.
Making Paper Fortune Cookies
Whether you’re celebrating Chinese New Year or planning an event, you’ll appreciate the cuteness of these paper fortune cookies. Even my youngest daughter is eager to create Valentine-themed fortune cookies for her school party.
Thankfully, making origami fortune cookies is a breeze. Once you get the hang of the folding technique, you’ll be able to craft them quickly, even if you need to make large quantities.
Here are the supplies you’ll need:
And the best part? DIY paper fortune cookies are cost-effective. You don’t need to buy special origami paper. In fact, it’s often too delicate to maintain the fortune cookie shape. Scrapbook paper is sturdier, comes in a wide range of beautiful colors and patterns, and is more affordable.
Tip: Avoid using the Duck double-sided tape shown in the picture. Although I initially thought it would work, it wasn’t sticky enough to keep the paper fortune cookies closed for more than a few minutes. Instead, opt for extra sticky double-sided tape or glue dots for better results.
How To Craft Paper Fortune Cookies
Making a fortune cookie out of paper is surprisingly simple. Don’t worry, it only requires a few steps, and once you’ve made one, you’ll be able to create them effortlessly. Even my 8-year-old joined in after a quick demonstration.
Let’s get started:
- Begin by tracing circles on the back of the scrapbooking paper. Carefully cut out the circles, aiming for approximately six per sheet of paper.
- Pro tip: If you have a rotary paper cutter, you can skip this step entirely. Set it to a 3.5″ diameter and start cutting.
- Take one of the cut circles and fold it in half gently without creasing it just yet.
- We want to form a crease on the fold, but only across the center inch or so of the circle.
- Open the circle back up and fold it in half again, this time in the opposite direction from the previous crease. The new fold should be perpendicular to the previous crease.
- Gently push the fold inward with your index finger while using your thumb and middle finger to bring both ends together.
- Slip one of the fortunes into the opening on the side before completely bringing both ends together. Secure the fortune cookie’s shape by using an extra sticky glue dot near the fold.
- Repeat these steps to create as many paper fortune cookies as you desire.
I hope my instructions and photos are clear enough for you to successfully create these delightful party favors. If you encounter any difficulties, please let me know, and I’ll be happy to make a quick video demonstrating the folding process!
Pin it now! Click here to save this paper fortune cookies tutorial to your DIY & Crafts board on Pinterest!
Customizing Your DIY Paper Fortune Cookies
The dimensions I provided will yield paper fortune cookies that are approximately the same size as real fortune cookies. However, feel free to customize them according to your preferences. Make them larger or smaller, include handwritten fortunes or print them out, and even add some glitter or shiny gold foil scrapbook paper. The possibilities are endless!
Origami String Lights
If you’re a fan of these paper fortune cookies or are looking for more Chinese New Year crafts for kids, you’ll love these origami paper lanterns with lights! Each string light cover is made from a simple paper Chinese water bomb (did you ever make these as a child?!), and we used scrapbook paper for them too.
I’d love to see how your paper fortune cookies turn out. Tag me @Unsophisticook on Instagram or use the hashtag #Unsophisticook so I can admire your creations. Enjoy!