How to Make a Gift Bag Out of Wrapping Paper
Gift-giving is an integral part of our lives, and gift bags have become a popular way to present gifts. Gift bags are convenient, reusable, and add a touch of elegance to any gift. While you can purchase gift bags from a store, making your gift bags out of wrapping paper is easy, affordable, and customizable. In this article, we will provide a step-by-step guide on how to make a gift bag out of wrapping paper, so you can elevate your gift-giving experience.
When it comes to gift-giving, presentation is everything. A beautifully wrapped gift can express your feelings and appreciation towards the recipient. However, gift bags offer an easy and convenient way to present your gift that’s both stylish and practical. While store-bought gift bags are an option, making your gift bag out of wrapping paper allows you to customize the size, shape, and design of the bag to fit your gift perfectly. Plus, it’s a great way to repurpose wrapping paper and save money.
The first step to making a gift bag out of wrapping paper is to gather the necessary materials. These materials are easy to obtain and are likely already in your home. You will need:
- Wrapping Paper: Choose a wrapping paper of your choice that’s sturdy and strong enough to hold the weight of the gift.
- Scissors: A good pair of scissors is necessary to cut the wrapping paper and create the desired shape of the bag.
- Tape: Clear tape is recommended because it blends with the wrapping paper and is less visible.
- Ruler or Measuring Tape: These tools will come in handy to measure the wrapping paper accurately.
- Pencil or Pen: You will need a writing instrument to mark the wrapping paper where it needs to be cut.
Measure and Cut Wrapping Paper
The next step in making a gift bag out of wrapping paper is to measure and cut the paper to the appropriate size. Follow these steps:
- Lay the wrapping paper flat on a clean, flat surface, with the patterned side down.
- Place the gift on top of the wrapping paper, and align it with the edge of the paper.
- Measure the height of the gift by pulling the wrapping paper up on one side and folding it over the gift. Leave some extra paper at the top to create a flap for the bag’s opening.
- Mark the height of the gift on the wrapping paper with a pencil or pen.
- Measure the length of the gift by rolling it on the wrapping paper and adding an extra inch to the length.
- Mark the length of the gift on the wrapping paper with a pencil or pen.
- Cut the wrapping paper along the marked lines using scissors.
Pro Tip: If you’re unsure about the size, start by cutting a bigger piece of wrapping paper, so you have some extra paper to work with. You can always trim it down later.
Fold and Secure the Bottom of the Bag
Now that you have cut the wrapping paper to size, it’s time to fold and secure the bottom of the bag. Follow these steps:
- Take one of the short edges of the wrapping paper and fold it towards the center of the paper, about 2 inches. Crease the fold.
- Repeat the same fold on the other short edge of the wrapping paper, making sure both folds meet in the center.
- Open up the folds and fold the sides of the wrapping paper towards the center, on the creased lines.
- Overlap the folded edges by about an inch to create the bottom of the bag.
- Secure the overlapped edges with a piece of clear tape.
Pro Tip: To make sure the bottom is secure, run your finger along the creases to ensure that the edges are tightly sealed.
Create the Sides of the Bag
Now that you have the bottom of the bag prepared, it’s time to create the sides. Follow these simple steps:
Fold one of the long sides of the wrapping paper towards the middle, making sure to leave a gap of about an inch in the center. Repeat the same process with the other side, overlapping the first fold in the center. Make sure that the two sides are even and that the gap in the center is the same size.
Fold the top edge of the wrapping paper down about an inch, creating a crease. Then, fold it down again to the desired height of your bag. Make sure that the crease is sharp and even.
Unfold the top edge of the wrapping paper and cut two small slits on each side of the crease. These slits will be used to create the flaps that will fold over to close the bag.
Fold the sides of the wrapping paper towards the center, using the creases as a guide. The flaps should overlap in the center of the bag. Secure the flaps with tape.
Fold the bottom of the bag up, using the creases as a guide. The two flaps should meet in the center, creating a triangle shape. Secure the flaps with tape.
Congratulations! You have now created a gift bag out of wrapping paper.
Add Finishing Touches
To complete the gift bag, you can add some finishing touches to make it more personalized and stylish. Here are some suggestions:
Add a ribbon: Tie a ribbon around the bag to add a touch of elegance.
Add a tag: Write a message or the recipient’s name on a tag and attach it to the bag.
Add a bow: Make a bow out of ribbon and attach it to the bag for a festive look.
Add stickers or stamps: Use stickers or stamps to decorate the bag with fun designs.
By adding these finishing touches, you can take your gift bag to the next level and make it feel even more special.