Marigold Paper Flowers
Table of Contents
Today we are making Cempazuchitl, marigold paper flowers out of tissue paper. This Mexican paper marigold craft is perfect for kids of all ages and makes beautiful marigolds for Day of the Dead.
How to Make Cempazuchitl (Marigolds) for Day of the dead
Mexican marigolds play a big role in the Day of the dead holiday traditions. Learn how to make DIY Marigold (Cempazuchitl in Spanish) flowers which are believed to guide spirits of departed loved ones with their vibrant colors.
Related: More tissue paper flowers
This simple and beautiful craft requires very limited supplies and are fun to craft. Even younger kids will be able to help.
This article contains affiliate links.
Supplies Needed for DIY Marigolds
- Orange tissue paper
- Yellow tissue paper
- Pipe cleaners
- Scissors or preschool training scissors
- Pinking shears or decorative edge scissors
Directions to Make Tissue Paper Flower Marigolds
Take six sheets of tissue papers (orange or yellow), measure 4″ in width and 9″ in length, and cut them using scissors.
Fold them in an accordion-style lengthwise and secure it in the center (2″ mark) with a piece of pipe cleaner.
Fan it out and carefully pull a single sheet of paper to the center on both sides, one after the other, until you run out of paper to create this Marigold tissue paper flower.
Push and pull the tissue paper gently to arrange it to look like marigold flowers.
Creating a Realistic Cempazuchitl from Tissue Paper
I tried two more styles to achieve different looks of the DIY marigold flowers. This is totally optional but I felt it was so worth it.
Use Pinking Shears
Use pinking shears to create a zig zag edge to the sides of the tissue paper
- Fold like an accordion – see the zig zag cuts on the ends of the tissue paper
- Fan out the tissue paper sheets into a marigold paper flower
Uses Scissors to Slit Tissue Paper Edges
Another trick is to use scissors and add small slits at both edges before doing the accordion fold and then fluff and arrange the marigold petals like usual.
Our Experience Making Cempazuchitl
Now it is your turn to choose which one you like better for your decor. These DIY marigold flowers are so forgiving that even if you make any mistakes, it still looks so good. Anyone can make this craft from kids to adults.
I would suggest going with a bigger size (for example 6″ to 8″ for width) if you are planning to make this craft with little kids.
Make a lot of them and string them as garland to decorate your altars or just arrange them in the design you desire.
More flower crafts you might like
- Any flower craft can start with our original collection of flower coloring pages!
- Make a construction paper flower bouquet.
- Try this egg carton wreath.
- Adults! Have a relaxing time coloring this zentangle rose.
- Make your own flowers using this flower craft template.
- Try this bottle flower painting using water bottles.
- Love flowers? You might like these flowers Zentangle too.
- Make this cute cupcake liner flower craft.
- This is How to make a flower from pipe cleaners.
- Check out these flower crafts for preschoolers.
- Make this easy flower craft.
- Try April showers bring May flowers craft.
- These Zentangle flowers patterns are too cute .
- These spring flowers coloring pages will make you feel refreshed.
More Day of the Dead Decorations & Crafts
- Make your own papel picado to hang for Dia de los Muertos celebrations
- All sorts of fun homemade Day of the Dead decorations, craft and kids activities!
- Kids will love coloring these sugar skull coloring pages or our collection of Day of the Dead coloring pages.
- Make a sugar skull planter.
- Color along with this Day of the Dead drawings tutorial.
- Make this really fun and easy Day of the Dead mask craft for kids.
Let us know which DIY marigold technique you thought worked the best. How did you use your homemade tissue paper cempazuchitl?