Craft a Festive Reindeer Puppet using a Paper Bag
Table of Contents
Paper bag puppets have been captivating children for generations and continue to be a beloved craft activity today! It’s amazing how a simple brown bag can be transformed into something new and exciting. With the holiday season in full swing, we couldn’t resist creating a Christmas-themed paper bag puppet. This reindeer paper bag craft is sure to bring joy and laughter to kids of all ages.
Reimagining the Classic Paper Bag Puppet
Related: Handprint Reindeer Craft For Kids
To begin this fun-filled craft, gather the following supplies:
- Brown paper bag
- Colored cardstock or construction paper
- Kraft paper
- Glue stick
- Reindeer paper bag puppet template (click here to access the link)
Follow these simple steps to create your very own reindeer paper bag puppet:
- Download the reindeer template and print it out. Carefully cut out the various pieces.
- Take a cream-colored cardstock and cut out a rectangle measuring approximately 4″x6″. Glue this onto the bottom of the paper bag.
- Position the reindeer harness at the halfway mark of the cream rectangle and secure it with glue.
- Arrange the jingle bells evenly along the harness and glue them down securely.
- Trim off any excess harness material.
- Attach the red reindeer nose to the cream muzzle and glue it halfway onto the brown paper bag flap.
- Stick the two eyes to the top of the paper bag flap.
- Attach the pink cheeks to either side of the muzzle, securing them in place with glue.
- Glue the cream inner ear to the larger outer ears, then place them on either side of the back of the paper bag flap. Ensure they are firmly attached.
- Attach the antlers to the back and top of the paper bag using glue.
Congratulations! You have successfully completed the reindeer paper bag puppet craft. It’s a quick and simple activity that guarantees lots of fun for everyone. If you’re feeling extra creative, you can first glue kraft paper onto the brown paper bag for a more polished look. However, this step is optional, and the craft can be enjoyed without it, especially if you are working with younger kids who are less concerned about appearances.
If you’re planning to do this craft with a group of kids in a school, daycare, or library storytime setting, we recommend using the second version of the template. It organizes the pieces by colored paper, making it more efficient to trace and cut them out. This way, you won’t have to trace the template multiple times, saving you time and effort.
No matter where you decide to create this craft, we guarantee that kids will love making and playing with their very own reindeer puppet. It’s a delightful Christmas-themed activity that brings joy and creativity to the holiday season.
Additional Crafting Inspiration
Puppet Template Notes
The free printable download includes two versions of the template to accommodate different crafting situations. The first version features all the pieces on one page, making it ideal for individual craft sessions with 1-2 kids. Simply print it on white cardstock, cut out the pieces, and you’re ready to go!
For older children, they can trace the template pieces onto corresponding colored paper. Younger children may require the template to be traced onto the different colored papers before commencing the craft.
If you’re planning a group activity, opt for the second version of the template, which organizes the pieces by color. Each page contains a single item category (e.g., all noses, all antlers), reducing the need for retracing and expediting the preparation process.
Regardless of the crafting environment, we’re confident that kids will thoroughly enjoy every step of this delightful reindeer puppet craft.
Enhance the Christmas Spirit
Take your Christmas celebrations to the next level by incorporating a complete Christmas-themed unit study alongside this reindeer craft. Continue reading for some fantastic ideas to get you started.
Reading is an excellent way to aid children’s development, and starting a new unit with books is always a great idea. Here are some highly recommended Christmas books to read to your kids:
- “Dasher” by Matt Tavares: This beautifully illustrated Christmas book provides the backstory of Santa’s beloved reindeer, Dasher. Girls, in particular, will adore this book as Dasher is a female reindeer.
- “Construction Site On Christmas Night” by Sherri Duskey Rinker: If your kids are fans of the construction site books, they’ll love this Christmas-themed story. Witness how the trucks prepare for Christmas!
- “How To Catch An Elf” by Adam Wallace: This amusing Christmas tale is beloved by kids everywhere. With rhymes and captivating illustrations, this book is sure to become a holiday tradition.
More Christmas Crafts
Crafting is not only a fun and engaging activity but also provides numerous benefits such as developing fine motor skills, enhancing creativity, and relieving stress. Consider adding these Christmas crafts to your festive repertoire:
- Grinch Handprint Craft: Create an adorable paper Grinch using your child’s handprint. This simple and delightful project is perfect for igniting the holiday spirit and creating lasting memories.
- Paper Plate Santa Craft: Welcome the much-awaited guest of the year with a paper plate Santa craft. Watch as your child moves Santa up and down the chimney, making this craft an interactive experience.
- Paper Plate Grinch Craft: Transform a paper plate and construction paper into a cute Grinch craft that adds merriment and brightness to your holiday season.
- Elf On The Shelf Gingerbread Man Disguise: The gingerbread man is a timeless Christmas character, and this craft allows your children to transform him into an elf on the shelf. Encourage their creativity and imagination with this fun activity.
Fun Activities for Kids
Engaging in Christmas-themed activities is a wonderful way to promote learning and enjoyment. Consider these ideas to keep your kids entertained throughout the holiday season:
- Christmas-themed Do-a-Dot Printables: Enhance letter recognition and counting skills with these festive do-a-dot printables. Suitable for preschool, pre-k, or kindergarten, these worksheets are perfect for the Christmas season.
- Christmas Pattern Block Mats: Introduce shapes and colors to your kids while they have fun with these Christmas pattern block mats. This activity enhances fine motor skills and can be enjoyed at home or in the classroom.
- Sensory Play: Engage young children in sensory play with the Nativity Play Dough Kit or Grinch Play Dough Kit. These kits provide endless holiday-themed play opportunities while promoting sensory exploration.
More Christmas Delights
To truly embrace the spirit of Christmas, here are some additional offerings that will bring joy and merriment to your festivities:
- Surprise with Santa’s Sleigh Driver’s License: Create a magical experience by “accidentally” dropping Santa’s sleigh driver’s license. Watch as wonder and excitement fill the air!
- Reindeer Candy Cane Sleeves: These adorable reindeer candy cane sleeves make perfect gifts for classrooms or friends. Spread the joy of the season with these delightful treats.
- Personalized Drink Tumblers: Gift your kids with personalized drink tumblers that are as cute as can be. Let them enjoy their favorite beverages in style!
Share Your Creations
We absolutely love seeing how your crafts turn out! Please take a snapshot of your completed project and share it with us. Post a picture of your reindeer puppet on our Facebook wall or in our private Facebook group. We can’t wait to see the amazing creations you and your little ones have made!
Discover More Christmas Inspiration for Kids
For more delightful Christmas ideas and crafts designed specifically for kids, continue exploring the festive wonders that Quill And Fox has to offer.
Download Your Free Reindeer Template
Click here to access and download your free reindeer template. It’s the perfect companion to this enchanting reindeer puppet craft.