Paper Lantern Light Fixture
Table of Contents
Paper light fixtures are a simple and lovely way to light home spaces. These kind of ceiling lights never get old, it’s one of the classics in interior design. As anything that’s been around for a while; it just changes over time.
You can take a paper light fixture from fading into the background. To a strong sculpture light in your room to make an impact. It just depends what look you’re after.
Paper lanterns are great if you’re renting and have just got basic light fixtures around the house. There are lots of factors to consider when choosing your paper shade. Shape, size and scale. One simple paper lantern can make a big impact as grouping of group of lighting lanterns together. You can even make your own origami paper lamp.
If you’d rather buy your paper light, here are some of the best paper light shades to make a big impression in your home…
Best Paper Lighting Picks
- Most Affordable – #5 Orb Medium Pendant Natural
- Traditional Style Japanese Lighting – #16 Natural Paper Rattan Floor Lamp
- Classic Design – #10 Large Round Rice Paper Shade
- Statement Paper Light Fixture – #11 White Spiky Origami Paper Hanging Lamp Shade
Paper Light Fixtures
Paper Pendant Ceiling Lights
Table Paper Light Shades
Paper Shade Floor Lights
Paper Lights In Design
Paper lantern lights have been around in Asia for thousands of years. And designer Isamu Noguchi modified the traditional paper lantern and created his Akari lamps. Taking his inspiration from the Japanese town of Gifu where the majority manufacture of lanterns took place.
He then turned paper lanterns into light sculptures for interior design in the 50’s for a modern design. Where paper pendant lights transformed into electrical lighting for the home that went main stream.
Noguchi created ceiling lamps, floor lamps and table lamps as part of his Akari lighting line. So you’re guaranteed to find a light for your living room or another room for your home. His designer lamps can cost quite a pretty penny but there are so many places you can get paper lights. Ikea is a popular option for it’s price.
I’ve bought a couple of paper light fixtures from Ikea for my rooms before. A floor light and a pendant light and I love the soft glow that paper shades bring to the room. With paper shades they’re light and airy. And the room doesn’t feel overcrowded even when you choose a larger size paper shade.
The great thing about paper lanterns is that you can use them for a minimalist contemporary look. Or you go for a traditional look.
And there are many paper pendants that are plug in lights. Or the paper shades simply go over your existing lights and hang from the wire. So there’s no need for any electrical wiring like with a chandelier. You just choose your cable lengths for the light pendant and you hang it up.
Paper Lampshades FAQS
- Why do people use paper light shades?
Paper shades can be an affordable option for a beautiful light fixture. And is an easy ceiling light to install. You can get them from home stores ranging from Ikea to designer stores have different options to choose from. And paper lights are great for creating a soft ambient light to a room.
- How do you install a paper pendant light?
- The paper shade slips over the light fixture. And is then secured by wrapping the lighting cord around the wire hook of the frame of the lantern.
- Are paper lampshades safe?
- The paper shades and fixtures that can be bought from home retail stores are safe. The paper shade is placed far away from the bulb. It’s always best to buy a low wattage bulb.
- Are paper light pendants in style?
- Paper pendants have been used in home interiors for years. And still continue to be popular.
- What paper is used for paper lights?
- Typically the type of paper used is rice paper, construction paper, washi paper or tissue paper.
- What is rice paper?
- Rice paper also called washi paper or “Japanese paper” is a handmade paper made from the wood fibres of mulberry bushes or Gampi plants. Rice paper shades is a textured paper that creates a soft light. The colour of rice paper is white to cream or has a yellow undertone.
- What is construction paper?
- Construction paper is thicker compared to regular paper. But not as thick as cardboard. Construction paper is best for folding and cutting and maintaining the shape it’s made into.
- What is tissue paper?
- Tissue paper is a translucent and delicate type of paper that is used for decorative reasons. Many different colours are available.
- Can I make my own paper light shade?
- There are arts and crafts courses that teach different techniques on how to use paper for decor at home. Origami is a great craft skill to learn that you can create a paper light shade from. Learn Creation of Origami Lamps With Paper.
This post contains some affiliate links which I may make a small commission from should you purchase something. For more information check out the disclosure and terms and conditions page.
- 15 Best Cane Dressers To Finish Off Your Bedroom
- The Ultimate Guide How To Decorate A Console Table
- The Best Round Coffee Tables For Any Living Room
- How To Create A Mood Board For Interior Design
- The Best Ideas For The Perfect Guest Room Basket