DIY Seed Paper: Create Beautiful and Eco-Friendly Greeting Cards
Make your own seed paper and turn recycling into a blossoming surprise for your loved ones. This innovative craft allows you to transform used paper into a work of art that sprouts into vibrant wildflowers. It’s a fun and creative way to show someone special how much you care.
What You Need:
- 1-1/2 cups of cross-cut pieces of used printer paper
- Large bowl of warm water
- Window screen material
- Small embroidery hoop
- Food coloring (optional)
- 9 x 13-inch baking pan
- Packet of wildflower or other seeds
- Bath towels or several layers of felt squares
- Waxed paper
- Colored markers
How to Make Seed Paper:
- Start by soaking the paper pieces in a bowl of water overnight.
- After soaking, transfer the paper into a blender and fill it halfway with fresh water.
- Blend the mixture until it becomes soupy.
- If desired, add food coloring to the mixture and blend further.
- Pour the blended paper mixture, also known as pulp, into a baking pan filled with water, filling it one-quarter full.
- Slide the embroidery hoop with the screen under the pulp and seeds, ensuring it’s completely submerged. Use a spoon to cover the screen with pulp if necessary.
- Lift the screen gently, allowing the water to drain off while evenly catching the pulp mixture on top.
- Place the screen on a bath towel or layers of felt to drain the excess water.
- Sprinkle the seeds onto the wet pulp and gently pat them into the surface.
- Once the excess water has been absorbed by the towel or felt, flip the embroidery hoop onto a sheet of waxed paper to dry. The seeds will be on the bottom.
- To remove the pulp from the screen, gently tap the hoop on a table or counter. If the pulp doesn’t stick together well, try adding more pulp to the screen next time.
- Allow the paper to dry for at least 24 hours.
- If the paper doesn’t lie flat, place a heavy object on it, such as a book, for a few hours to flatten it.
- Finally, decorate the unseeded side of the paper with colorful markers to make it truly unique.
How to Plant Your Seed Paper:
When you’re ready to plant your paper masterpiece, follow these simple steps:
- Lay the seed paper on the surface of the soil.
- Sprinkle a quarter-inch thick layer of soil on top of the paper.
- Lightly water the soil to keep it moist, ensuring the seeds have the necessary hydration to sprout and develop roots.
Good luck with your eco-friendly endeavor, and enjoy the beauty of nature!
Remember, by choosing to make your own seed paper, you’re not only creating something beautiful but also contributing to a more sustainable future. For more creative and environmentally friendly ideas, visit Quill And Fox.